The goal of this project is to collaborate with community leaders to address chronic flood risk and resilience issues in the redevelopment plans for southeast Biloxi, Mississippi.
Like many across the Mississippi Gulf Coast, East Biloxi residents have witnessed firsthand the damages resulting from natural and man-made climate disasters. These climate stressors have continuously impacted East Biloxi’s natural resources which are fundamentally tied to the community’s social and economic well-being. This collaborative project was founded in partnership with the East Biloxi Community Collaborative, the Steps Coalition, the Biloxi chapter of NAACP, and the Gulf Coast Community Design Studio to produce culturally competent resilience trainings and publications to advance lasting community-driven change in East Biloxi.
Resilient East Biloxi hosts a series of community leader trainings and resident engagement events to achieve the following:
- Promote redevelopment that reflects and has a sense of ownership by the community
- Provide space for community leaders to engage with and communicate resilience issues and solutions to residents
- Develop strategies to skillfully and effectively direct solutions to address unbridled socioeconomic disadvantages
- Increase organizational capacity for the implementation and funding of community-led redevelopment projects
- Promote collaboration across diverse organizations and leaders to address the social determinants of health for East Biloxi
Upcoming Community Events:
- Community Land Trust (CLT) Resident Meeting – Tuesday, September 19, 2023. Click here to register!
Previous Community Events:
- Inaugural Community Festival – Saturday, June 10, 2023
- Community Clean-up – March 18, 2023
- What’s Happening in East Biloxi: Community Expo – November 3, 2022
- Safer, Stronger, More Resilient Housing in East Biloxi – June 2, 2022
- Social Determinants of Health & the East Biloxi Redevelopment Project – March 17, 2022