Climate Resilience Intern
The Program for Local Adaptation to Climate Effects: Sea-Level Rise (PLACE:SLR) is seeking a motivated recent college graduate or master’s cooperative student to join our team at as a Climate Resilience Intern. The position is available for full-time (40 hours) or part-time (20 hours) for a period of 6 months.
PLACE: SLR is a partnership between Mississippi State University Extension, Mississippi-Alabama Sea Grant, and Florida Sea Grant focused on sea-level rise resilience research, extension, and outreach activities. PLACE: SLR fosters a multi-state network of stakeholders, researchers, NGOs, and state and federal agencies building tools, programs, and projects to address gaps in sea-level rise observing, research, and decision-making in the northern Gulf of Mexico.
The successful applicant will receive a competitive hourly wage. The position will be based at the MSU Coastal Research and Extension Center in Biloxi, MS, but will travel between coastal Mississippi, Alabama, and NW Florida for activities on an at-least monthly basis. The ideal start date for this position is early 2023 but could possibly be shifted based on the preference of the selected applicant.
The primary purpose of this position is to support extension, outreach, and applied research activities related to the transition and translation of sea-level rise information for coastal decision-making. This includes supporting the Community Connections Dialogues and Pop-In events as part of the Community’s Rise project (https://placeslr.org/our-work/projects/environmental-literacy-program-project/). The intern will also have the opportunity to participate in a variety of additional Extension, outreach, and educational activities around sea-level rise and climate communication with multiple audiences. The intern will also receive semi-structured mentorship to foster professional development and network building to support the intern in their next step in their career.
– Eagerness to learn and make real world impacts
– At least 18 years of age
– B.S. or B.A in biological sciences, environmental sciences, environmental studies, STEM education, environmental engineering, economics, sociology, anthropology, climate sciences, communications or other fields related to the work at PLACE:SLR.
– Willingness to work on a flexible schedule, which may include weekends and evenings
– Willingness and capacity to spend long days at events
– Able to handle heavy physical work: heavy listing, pushing, or pulling required of objects up to or heavier than 30 lbs.
– Willingness to work with people with different viewpoints, experiences, perspectives, and backgrounds. Organized and able to work independently or as part of a team
– Familiarity with Google and Microsoft software packages (e.g., Google Drive, Google Docs, Microsoft Word, etc.)
– Comfortable with public speaking
– Experience or willingness to learn to coordinate and facilitate meetings
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Application deadline is 11:59 PM on January 1, 2023.